When the chain has been fully installed and inspected, complete with any fixtures which may be fitted to it, the site must be cleared and all safety locks / fixtures removed.
- The circuit should be physically examined for any obstructions and the chain given a visual inspection to check that all chain joints have been correctly assembled.
- The chain will now need to be adjusted to take slack from the system. This is the Take Up Clearance at each Chain Pitch Point.
- Run the chain for a short period of time at the slowest possible drive speed if this is possible.
- Allow the chain to complete two complete chain circuits.
- Apply Initial Chain Adjustment at the Chain Tension Device and run the chain again for two complete circuits.
- Check the chain tension again and adjust as necessary.
- Repeat as above until satisfactory chain tensioning is achieved. It is important not to over tension the chain.
- Check that all Chain Sprocket Shafts are square and adjust the tensioning screws at an equal rate with a few turns at a time. Fully tighten up all Locknuts before running the chain.
- Once the chain system has been set up it should be run continuously for 5 hours to allow the chain to “Bed In” and the Bearing Surfaces to settle down / bed in.
Apply lubricant if appropriate and re-check everything before commissioning is completed.